It’s election season here in Durham, so we have a special edition of the pod! Join us this week as T. Greg talks about his first-ever vote in a Democrat primary, along with a quick recap of criminal justice f*ckery around the country from killer cops in California to a ruthless judge attacking an elderly woman in Florida to New Jersey once again letting police brutality slide. Then we talk with Durham County’s elected District Attorney Roger Echols about why he became a prosecutor, how he handled the Confederate Cases, and the political blowback he’s endured since!
#Law140 will return next week! Remember to check out our Patreon page for exclusive patron-only content!
Join the conversation by following @fsckemall on Twitter, and tweet us your comments and questions using the hashtag #fsck!
*THANK YOU* to this week’s Show Note Sponsors (Trey Benfield, Melanie Greenan, Judi Kane, and Colleen Mahaney) and our #Law140 Lovers (Damien Boyd, Matthew Boyer, Tyler Kiley, Byron Mobley, Andrew Murphy, Erica Phillips, Helen Poston, David Ross, Joe Sevits, and Michael VanOrder)!
- Our special guest this week is Roger Echols, the elected District Attorney of Durham NC!
- Library of Congress provides OCR’d compilation of every Supreme Court decision ever (Library of Congress)
- CALIFORNIA: Barstow police summarily execute unarmed black man Diante Yarber in Walmart parking lot (New York Times)
- Yarber was the 340th person killed by police in 2018 (KilledByPolice.net)
- CALIFORNIA: Merced police arrest black man for asking for refund at convenience store, beat him senseless at jail (Merced Sun-Star)
- FLORIDA: White judge Merrillee Ehrlich brutally berates elderly black woman in wheelchair; the woman is now dead (Miami Herald)
- FLORIDA: Largo police raid funeral home to get fingers of man, killed by police, so they can unlock his iPhone (Tampa Bay Times)
- GEORGIA: Militarized Newnan police target counterprotestors at Neo-Nazi rally (Slate)
- LOUSIANA: Journalism student’s lawsuit against Department of Corrections leads to lighter restrictions on inmate interviews (KALB 2)
- MARYLAND: Baltimore trying an “experiment” by serving the poor (Baltimore Sun)
- MICHIGAN: New footage released showing killer cop Mark Bessner’s extrajudicial summary execution of 15-year-old black boy Damon Grimes (Detroit Free Press)
- NEW JERSEY: No charges against Camden officer Nicholas Romantino, caught on video punching arrestee in the head 12 times (NJ Advance Media)
- NEW YORK: -0- murders in NYC “Killing Fields” since 2017 (NY Times)
- NORTH CAROLINA: Charges dismissed for Facebook “threat” to blow up courthouse (Burlington Times-News)
- Our episode on the original charges (Fsck #32)
- OHIO: Teen suffocates to death in van after 911 call, as lazy cops never bother to leave their patrol car (Washington Post)
- OKLAHOMA: How many rape kits have never been tested? No one knows (The Oklahoman)
- We have thousands of untested kits in NC too (Fsck #54)
- PENNSYLVANIA: Judge Elizabeth Beckley calls ICE to deport groom at wedding, even though he’s a legal resident (Newsweek)
- TENNESSEE: Video shows white teacher dragging 7-year-old black boy off bus by his feet, giving the kid a concussion (WCVB 5)
- TEXAS: Bexar County Sheriff’s Deputy Jose Paez indicted for assault, 4th officer indicted in a week (San Antonio Express-News)
- TEXAS: Dallas area Trumpist George Clayton, former elected official, spends his day tweeting racism at minorities accepted to college (Dallas Morning News)
- Clayton tweets this sh*t a lot (Twitter)
- TEXAS: Killer cop Cameron Brewer is fired for the extrajudicial summary execution of Danny Ray Thomas (Houston Chronicle)
- Our episode on Thomas’s death (Fsck #57)