We announced Season 3 a little early so we’re trying again! Join us this week as we talk about a Florida corrections officer raping a woman on house arrest, a North Carolina sex crimes detective committing sex crimes, the Fifth Circuit denying qualified immunity to a Texas cop who arrested a photographer for sport, and much more!
*THANK YOU* to this week’s Show Note Sponsors (Anon, Trey Benfield, Judi Kane, Colleen Mahaney, Benjamin Nagy, Rob Simmons, and Michael Teal) and our #Law140 Lovers (Lindsey Bowser, Andrew Murphy, Erica Phillips, Helen Poston, Joe Sevits, and Michael VanOrder)!
- Threadnought Day 100 Roundtable with the Violet Wanderers podcast!
- Fifth Circuit: No qualified immunity for Dallas police officer who arrested freelance photographer for taking pictures (Reason)
- CALIFORNIA: LAPD killer cop Salvador Sanchez will not be charged in the extrajudicial summary execution of schizophrenic Kenneth French (LA Times)
- CALIFORNIA: Uber driver files First Amendment lawsuit after San Diego police officer Jason Langley arrests him and has his car impounded for recording on his phone (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- FLORIDA: Miami-Dade corrections officer Yulian Gonzalez arrested for raping woman on house arrest (Miami Herald)
- FLORIDA: Orlando PD School Resource Officer Dennis Turner, fired for arresting two 6-year-old black kids, had a history of child abuse! (BuzzFeed News)
- FLORIDA: Tamarac Commissioner Mike Gelin confronts Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy Joshua Gallardo during awards ceremony about false arrest (WSVN 7)
- FLORIDA: Tarpon Springs PD officer Steve Bergren resigns before he can be fired for threatening a mass shooting (Tampa Bay Times)
- GEORGIA: Georgia State Patrol officer Brian Sanchez fired, arrested for aggravated child molestation (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- GEORGIA: Gwinnett County Superior Court Judge Kathryn Schrader for computer trespass after investigating to see if DA’s Office was spying on her (Gwinnett Daily Post)
- GEORGIA: Hampton PD officers summarily execute naked 24-year-old Fernando Rodriquez as 3 officers tase him at the same time (WSB 2)
- IDAHO: Deputy lies to teens about Miranda rights, felony rape charges reduced to misdemeanor assault after confessions are thrown out (Idaho Statesman)
- KANSAS: Douglas County prosecutor Amy McGowan deliberately kept innocent people in jail, magically avoids discipline (Kansas City Star)
- MICHIGAN: Jonathan Vanderhagen is acquitted in less than 30 minutes after insane prosecution for criticizing judge (Reason)
- MISSISSIPPI: Southaven Police, who went to the wrong house and summarily executed Ismael Lopez in 2017, claim Lopez had no constitutional rights to avoid execution (WMC 5)
- NEW JERSEY: Frank Nucera, ex-police chief indicted for assaulting black teen, insisted to subordinates that Trump was “the last hope for white people” (NJ.com)
- NORTH CAROLINA: Jury awards $8,300,000.00 USD verdict to Apex man after Wake County deputies Ricky Spivey, Casey Miller, and Joshua Legan illegally beat and shot him in 2013 then lied about it (WRAL 5)
- NORTH CAROLINA: Fayetteville PD sex crimes detective Paul G Matrafailo III sent sexual messages to rape victims (News & Observer)