Each of the first 4 Rules of Fsck make an appearance this week! Join us as we talk about police beating unarmed men on camera in Arizona and Oregon, a fired Georgia cop getting hired as a deputy days later, and a Maryland man dying in a Baltimore holding cell for a traffic ticket.
Then, in our #Law140 section, we talk about the federal Bail Reform Act and why Paul Manafort may end up going to jail before trial!
Join the conversation by following @fsckemall on Twitter, and tweet us your comments and questions using the hashtag #fsck!
*THANK YOU* to this week’s Show Note Sponsors (Trey Benfield, Melanie Greenan, Judi Kane, Colleen Mahaney, and Michael Teal) and our #Law140 Lovers (Damien Boyd, Matthew Boyer, Brian Gilbreath, Tyler Kiley, Byron Mobley, Andrew Murphy, Erica Phillips, Helen Poston, David Ross, Joe Sevits, and Michael VanOrder)!
- Paul Manafort was dimed out by his associates (NY Times)
- Trump accomplishes nothing at G7 summit (BBC)
- Supreme Court issues its ruling in the “gay wedding cake” case (SCOTUS)
- My thread breaking down the opinion (Twitter)
- Block-by-block analysis of murder “hotspots” where killings go unsolved (Washington Post)
- ARIZONA: 4 Mesa PD officers on paid vacation after being caught on security camera beating unarmed Robert Johnson (KPHO 5)
- CALIFORNIA: ICE deports uncle of children orphaned after ICE killed their parents (LA Times)
- DC: Latest batch of J20 prosecutions ends in 3 acquittals, 1 mistrial (HuffPost)
- FLORIDA: Politician’s office stopped running concealed handgun background checks for over a year because a staff member “couldn’t log in” (Tampa Bay Times)
- FLORIDA: Bay County Sheriff’s deputy takes down armed man with 2 cans of baked beans (Miami Herald)
- GEORGIA: Taylor Saulters, cop fired for running over a suspect, already rehired as Sheriff’s deputy (WSB-TV 2)
- Our episode on Saulters being fired (Fsck #68)
- ILLINOIS: Chicago PD on video terrifying, arresting unarmed 10-year-old boy in case of “mistaken identity” (Chicago Sun-Times)
- IOWA: Des Moines student Manuel Antonio Cano Pacheco, US resident since he was 3, killed weeks after being deported to Mexico (Des Moines Register)
- KENTUCKY: State trooper Mitch Harris, coroner John Goble indicted for stealing ammo, guns, moonshine, eyeballs (WAVE 3)
- MARYLAND: Disabled man turns himself in to Baltimore PD on traffic ticket, dies in holding cell (Baltimore Sun)
- MINNESOTA: Minneapolis PD announces end to marijuana stings after 97.8% of those arrested are black (Minneapolis StarTribune)
- NEW YORK: Military personnel at Fort Hamilton order pizza, turn deliveryman over to ICE (NBC News)
- OHIO: ICE comes bearing donuts, then arrests landscapers (Washington Post)
- OREGON: Marion County deputies on video pummeling homeless man (KGW 9)
- PENNSYLVANIA: Philadelphia DA Larry Krasner working on comprehensive list of tainted cops (Philadelphia Inquirer)
- UTAH: Clint Douglas Shaw, former Davis County SWAT officer, files lawsuit claiming county did not adequately hide his misconduct (Ogden Standard-Examiner)
- WEST VIRGINIA: Supreme Court Justice Allen Loughry suspended for lying, other violations of judicial conduct (WV Public Radio)
- WISCONSIN: New Milwaukee PD video of Bucks player Sterling Brown’s arrest shows police expected “firestorm” (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- Mueller tries to revoke Manafort’s pre-trial release (NY Daily News)
- Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, Rule 46 (LII)
- The Bail Reform Act of 1984 (Federal Judicial Center)
- US Attorneys’ Manual on Pretrial Proceedings (US DOJ)